Welcome to the Thunder River Renegades Club Forum.  We’re a Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) Community located in Planterville, TX.  Weather you’re already a club member or a prospective new shooter, come join in on the conversation.  Just please follow the basic rules of etiquette.

1. Watch you language, there’s ladies around here!
2. Be courteous to others and they’ll do the same.
3. If you want someone to respect your opinion, please respect theirs.
4. Please no spam!

We Moderate these forums regularly to make sure they’re kept clean and spam free so if you find an issue somewhere notify the admin or one of the Moderators please.

Soule or Marbles?

Notifications
Clear all

Soule or Marbles?

Page 2 / 2
Mongo
(@mongo)
Eminent Member Registered

Thanks, BPB

It is the correct base for the 1895CB & does have 2 mounting holes....I just used the long stock screw for temporary setup.  Since my last post I mic'd everything on the base/staff & found it perfect......

.....it appears the Marlin's tang is the culprit & not crowned perfectly.  I used some brass 0.010 shim stock on the base low side & stoned the high side 0.002" to get it square.  Now I'm comfortable drilling & tapping the front base hole.

Mongo

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 17, 2018 2:24 pm
Blackpowder Burn
(@blackpowderburn)
New Member Moderator

Just curious - is it a Marlin or a Marlington?  That is, a Marlin built since Remington bought Marlin?  There were some not so good stories about build quality by Remington for the first few years.

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2018 2:41 pm
Mongo
(@mongo)

It's a Marlington.  I read lots of recent reviews of Marlin's latest offerings & most agree they are improving slowly.  There was a period several years ago when all reviews seemed negative.  This particular 1895CB does not have the sloppy wood to metal fit I've seen online but while improved, the finish has not equaled the true JM Marlins of yesteryear.  I was quite surprised the tang contour was asymmetrical enough to cause 0.0125" shift at the base which caused 1/8"+ cant at the peep (lowest elevation) when everything outwardly appeared normal.  We'll see how she shoots.......

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 17, 2018 7:27 pm
Blackpowder Burn
(@blackpowderburn)
New Member Moderator

I'll be curious to see how it shoots, also.  I suspect the accuracy will be good, just some of the finish details may not be quite up to yesteryear............

ReplyQuote
Posted : May 17, 2018 10:11 pm
Mongo
(@mongo)

Just reread my posts & see the need for clarification that might benefit future Marlin buyers.   The tang crown WAS profiled correctly BUT the tang screw hole was machined slightly off center.  This had the effect of shifting the Marble's base on the tang crown.  Once the problem was identified it was an easy fix to level the sight base with shims, but made locating, drilling, and tapping the base front hole a challenge.  

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : May 18, 2018 10:07 am
SRK
 SRK
(@srk)
New Member Registered

BPB, well I finally have ammo for my Marlin and have fired it at Carters. Nice pattern for a new gun although it shoots low and to the left. I have ordered tang sight and wondering if I should adjust the front sight first?

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2018 2:42 pm
Blackpowder Burn
(@blackpowderburn)
New Member Moderator

Mongo,

I guess it depends on how much you are off on windage.  Most of the time the Marbles has enough windage adjustment to zero the rifle.  However, given the off center mounting hole on your tang, it could be that you'll need to drift the front sight a little. Remember, with the front sight, you move it the opposite direction that you want to move your group.  That is, if your group is left of center, move the front sight left in order to move the group to the right.

ReplyQuote
Posted : September 1, 2018 9:25 pm
Mongo
(@mongo)

BPB,

That was SRK asking on that post.....

Mongo

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : September 2, 2018 7:18 am
Page 2 / 2
Share: