Welcome to the Thunder River Renegades Club Forum.  We’re a Cowboy Action Shooting (CAS) Community located in Planterville, TX.  Weather you’re already a club member or a prospective new shooter, come join in on the conversation.  Just please follow the basic rules of etiquette.

1. Watch you language, there’s ladies around here!
2. Be courteous to others and they’ll do the same.
3. If you want someone to respect your opinion, please respect theirs.
4. Please no spam!

We Moderate these forums regularly to make sure they’re kept clean and spam free so if you find an issue somewhere notify the admin or one of the Moderators please.

Cap 'n Ball Loading...

Notifications
Clear all

Cap 'n Ball Loading Practice

Mongo
(@mongo)
Eminent Member Registered

As a newbie and future Frontiersman shooter please clarify the accepted C&B reloading procedure between stages.  I understand capping is done at the loading table, naturally, but:

1.  Does the shooter recharge the firearm at his/her cart, and if so is there a distance requirement from the loading table?

2.  Do C & B shooters usually shoot 1st or 2nd at stages to compensate for the extra loading time required for the next stage?

3.  Are there any common accepted practices regarding C & B that aren't in the SASS rules which everyone knows but me?  Last thing a newbie wants is to invoke the ire of RO's/members unintentionally!

Thanks!

Mongo Slim

Topic starter Posted : April 8, 2018 8:05 am
cheyenne
(@cheyenne)
TRR Scribe Moderator

answers in red below

As a newbie and future Frontiersman shooter please clarify the accepted C&B reloading procedure between stages.  I understand capping is done at the loading table, naturally, but:

1.  Does the shooter recharge the firearm at his/her cart, and if so is there a distance requirement from the loading table?

no, they go to stage to either side of the one being shot and use the loading/unloading table to recharge the cylinder

2.  Do C & B shooters usually shoot 1st or 2nd at stages to compensate for the extra loading time required for the next stage?

we don't have a set order for the cowfolk to shoot so they can shoot whenever they want to.  That being said, BPB always likes to be towards the front so he can recharge during the time the posse is at that stage.  He usually takes loading/unloading duty so he can help the posse move through 

3.  Are there any common accepted practices regarding C & B that aren't in the SASS rules which everyone knows but me?  Last thing a newbie wants is to invoke the ire of RO's/members unintentionally!

some of these are in the SASS rules:  don't use the firearm's hammer to seat the caps.  If you get a hang fire don't bring the gun down and look down the front of the barrel, have as much fun as possible

Thanks!

Mongo Slim

RO II
SBSS #1170--OGB
RVN War Games: 2nd Place
SASS Vet 280

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2018 9:21 am
ramblingambler
(@ramblingambler)

Some folks load at their cart too.  I've seen carts setup especially for it.  At our range we have plenty of room to use an adjacent stage, but not all clubs do.  When you really get into it you might even pony up the money for 12 cylinders and load them all at home the night before. 

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 9, 2018 1:25 pm
Mongo
(@mongo)

Great info, and thanks.  I'm still a ways from shooting a match with BP but glad to know this forum is here to help!

Mongo Slim

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 10, 2018 7:44 am
Blackpowder Burn
(@blackpowderburn)
New Member Moderator

Come on out to practice day and I'll bring my stuff to show you how I do it.  Of course, there are a lot of different ways, depending on what type of cap guns you have.  Different types and barrel lengths lend themselves to different loading methods.  Once you get some practice, you can load up again by the time two or three shooters have run the stage behind you.

FWIW, if you haven't already bought cap guns, there are some advantages/disadvantages of the various types - Remington, Colt, Ruger.  The Ruger is the Cadillac of cap guns, if you can find a pair of fixed sight ones.  Colt clones run longer than Remington's without fouling issues due to the design of the cylinder gas ring, but are more difficult to remove the cylinder for off-the-gun-loading.  Remington's are stronger than Colts (although not an issue with the pressures involved), and are easier to remove the cylinder for off-the-gun loading, but foul more quickly.

Part of the fun is having them all to play with.  They're less costly than cartridge revolvers (except the Ruger Old Army's) and so you can afford more toys!

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 18, 2018 9:04 am
Mongo
(@mongo)

Thanks, BPB!  I have yet to load any BP cartridge or shotshells for this category but have been researching that process.  I look forward to your expertise....just need some drier weather so my Kia can make the range.

ReplyQuote
Topic starter Posted : April 20, 2018 8:28 am
Blackpowder Burn
(@blackpowderburn)
New Member Moderator

We can always get someone to ferry you across the river if you park on the other side of the creek.  Just let us know when you're coming.

ReplyQuote
Posted : April 20, 2018 5:28 pm
Share: